Samoan rugby player Gordon Langkilde will face a criminal trial next month after denying he assaulted three Wales players at the Rugby World Cup Sevens tournament.
Langkilde, who has been released on bail after spending days behind bars following the incident, has been told he cannot leave the US before the trial begins on August 15 in San Francisco.
Prosecutors allege Langkilde punched the Welsh players from behind as they walked down the tunnel following the match on July 21. He has pleaded not guilty to three charges of battery and one of assault that could see him jailed for up to four years if convicted.
Wales Sevens players Tom Williams, Luke Morgan, and Ben Roach all suffered injuries during the alleged incident. Williams was reportedly left covered in blood after and is believed to have had his nose and cheekbone broken.
His region, the Ospreys, have spoken of their shock at what happened.
The Welsh Rugby Union has previously confirmed that no Welsh player is facing any sanctions for the incident and confirmed World Rugby would investigate the issue.
The Chief Executive Officer of the Samoa Rugby Union, Faleomavaega Vincent Fepulea’i has said: “We will not leave him stranded in America, he’s our player and we will provide anything and everything necessary within our means to assist Gordon.
“Our team manager has stayed behind with Gordon to see through his case, and we hope that they will return home as soon as the matter is settled in court. In the meantime, his stepmother is there as well in support of Gordon.”