By Ryan Burton
Last month BoxingScene.com reported that super featherweight contender Saul “Neno” Rodriguez Jr. (21-0-1) had parted ways with Mayweather Promotions. The 25-year-old said that he left on amiable terms.
Sources close to the situation have now advised us that Rodriguez has returned to his previous promoter, Top Rank Inc., who had promoted him for most of his career.
The hard hitting Rodriguez made his Mayweather Promotions debut on February 17th, 2017 when he overcame a 5th round knockdown to win a split decision over Oscar Bravo in Southern California.
That fight would be his only fight under Floyd Mayweather’s promotional banner and he hasn’t fought since.
Rodriguez, who is trained by his father Saul Rodriguez Sr, fought on several Solo Boxeo cards as he climbed his way up the rankings. He scored the biggest win of his young career in November, 2015 when he blasted out the then once beaten Ivan Najera in the first round of their TruTV televised co-feature bout that was underneath the Gilberto Ramirez-Gevorg Khatchikian main event.
The date for the Riverside, California native’s return to the ring is expected to be announced in the near future.
IN OTHER NEWS: Two members of El Matador Management stable, middleweights Lamar Russ & DeVaun Lee will be featured on the upcoming season of The Contender.
The highly anticipated 12-episode season, from MGM Television and Paramount Television, will premiere on EPIX® on Aug. 24, 2018 at 10 PM ET/PT.
Russ of Wilmington, North Carolina has a record of 17-2 with eight knockouts, while Lee of Queens, New York has a record of 10-3-1 with five knockouts.
“The Contender will be a good experience for me, and I appreciated to being added to the cast. I will be able to allow the world to learn about who I am and learn about what I do. It will be great to meet new people and learn about their lifestyle as well” said Lee.
Send questions or comments to [email protected] You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter